Join San Diego Zoo Global for an exclusive safari to witness our programs in Kenya. Come face-to-face with Kenya’s iconic wildlife—including the Big Five—stay in unique and beautiful places, and go behind the scenes of some of our most iconic conservation projects. On this one-of-a-kind journey you will also connect with local communities and experts while experiencing firsthand how we work with our partners to rescue orphaned elephants, protect giraffes, and save rhinos from extinction. This trip is only available through San Diego Zoo Global. Space is limited.
Learn more about what San Diego Zoo Global is doing to save wildlife from this region of the world.
Arrive in Nairobi. A TEK n Travel representative will meet you to welcome you to Kenya and transfer to your hotel. Spend the evening at your leisure enjoying shopping and restaurants or simply relaxing after your long trip.
The adventure begins! After breakfast at the hotel, head to Wilson Airport where you’ll take a quick flight* to Kenya’s famed Masai Mara. The Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp is your home for the next three days, offering the quintessential wildlife safari experience! Located where the forest meets the sweeping plains, the camp provides authentic Kenyan hospitality with rich wildlife experiences. Whether this is your first safari and you look forward to spotting the Big Five, or you are an old hand searching for an unusual sighting, this expedition is not to be missed. With 6 private safari experiences (3 morning & 3 afternoon), there is plenty of opportunity to spot the “Big Five”—lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, and Cape buffalo, as well as rare Grevy’s zebras, cheetahs, and more.
SAMBURU NATIONAL PARK
Following an early morning safari drive and breakfast, check out of the lodge and take a quick flight* to Samburu National Park where you will spend three awe-inspiring, relaxing, and wild days at Elephant Bedroom Camp in the stunning Great Rift Valley. The surrounding Samburu National Reserve boasts spectacular scenery, its plains bisected by a meandering river with a backdrop of dramatic mountains. The 14 spacious tents have rustic and colorful Kenyan touches with all the amenities, including a private plunge pool on the deck. On two game drives a day, you may spot elephants released from our partners at the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary, which is the first community-owned elephant orphanage in Kenya. You will have the unique opportunity to visit the orphanage and meet with the local Samburu conservationists who help these young elephants become robust and healthy enough to be reintroduced to their native land, hopefully back with their family herds.
LEWA WILDLIFE CONSERVANCY
After another spectacular morning game drive and delicious breakfast, transfer to our conservation partner, the stunning Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. Settle into relaxing safari luxury in cottages with breathtaking scenery. Set against the magnificent backdrop of snow-capped Mt. Kenya, this renowned wildlife conservancy has some of the most spectacular wildlife viewing that Kenya has to offer. Lush and green in the rainy winter season, the stunning vistas are not the typical brown savanna scenery you might picture on safari.
The conservancy has the largest concentration of endangered Grevy’s zebras in the world and is home to over 130 black rhinos and white rhinos, which you can spot on a morning and evening game drive each day! You will meet the incredible people working to stop poaching in the region, and learn more about the projects and partnerships we have to save rhinos. Other exciting excursions may include a meeting with poacher tracking dogs and a visit a local handicraft business that improves livelihoods, empowers women, and protects wildlife in northern Kenya through the sale of authentic hand beaded products. Guided bush walks and horseback safaris available at no additional cost.
A fond farewell! Photograph one more stunning Kenyan sunrise on your last morning safari followed by breakfast at the lodge before flying* to Nairobi. A representative will take you to the Jomo Kenyatta Airport for your flight home. A bon voyage indeed!
*This is a commercial charter flight with possible stops en-route. Luggage restrictions 33lbs per person including hand luggage in soft sided bags
- SDZG representative will escort the group throughout the journey.
- Superior accommodations throughout as indicated. Enjoy one night and breakfast in Nairobi, followed by nine nights of accommodations on full board basis.
- Regional commercial charter flights (3) and other transportation as needed in-country.
- All meals on safari in Kenya; all other meals as specified.
- Transportation, including all game drives when on safari, in a 4x4 vehicle such as Land Rover or similar.
- A specialist guide will accompany the group with 12 travelers.
- All applicable hotel and lodge taxes and gratuities.
- All Park/Reserve entrance and park conservation fees.
- Private safaris as outlined, offered twice daily (18 safaris total).
- Round-trip air transportation from San Diego to Nairobi, including taxes and fuel surcharges.
- Travel insurance. This is available through the tour operator and is highly recommended.
- Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants. Gratuities should only be given as a reward for exceptional service and is at your discretion. We estimate $10 per person/per day for the specialist guide, $10 per person/per day for the safari driver, $5 per person/per day for the camp staff, and $3 per person for each arrival and departure transfer from the airport / hotel. These are daily per service estimates and an exact tipping chart will be detailed on your final itinerary.
- Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas. Visas are required for US citizens traveling to Tanzania and Kenya.
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines.
- Meals and beverages, other than specified.
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature.
- Personal and baggage insurance.
- Cost for anything not specifically mentioned in the listing above.
- Malaria pills are recommended.
- Whilst visiting Kenya, yellow fever shots may be required by the airline you are flying following visiting Kenya.
- Luggage restrictions apply on flights. The total baggage allowance for each passenger—inclusive of check-in baggage, carry-on baggage, and cameras—is 33 lbs.
- Check-in baggage is restricted to soft-sided bags with sizes not exceeding 13 x 22 x 10 inches
- Kenya joins over 40 countries that have made plastic bags illegal, in a positive effort to reduce the impact on our environment. Therefore, there may be implications for guests travelling to this region. Plastic bags, including duty free bags, will be confiscated at the airport. If anyone is caught using plastic bags the fine is Ksh. 4,000,000 (approximately USD $38,000) or prison sentences of up to 4 years. We advise our guests and our own teams to refrain from using all forms of disposable plastic carrying bags in both main luggage and hand luggage to avoid inconveniences and possibly prosecution.